Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

After upgrading to Catalina, I see this message "The default interactive shell is now zsh", followed by some additional text, whenever I open the Terminal.

I read Apple's notes on the matter. They explain HOW to change permanently to zsh, but not WHY I should do it or what benefits it provides.

For lack of any explanation as to why this was done, I'm inclined to stick with bash. I use the Terminal for work and don't have time to worry about switching to a different shell.

I would very much like to not have to see this zsh message every time I open the Terminal. How do I turn it off?

Frank

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 8:18 AM

You can remain on the ancient Bash 3.5.2 that dates back to 2007 — if you wish, as Apple is not removing it from Catalina.

Apple will never update Bash on macOS because GNU has assigned a GPL3 license to newer Bash versions, and Apple does not install any GPL3 licensed content within macOS. Zsh is not GPL3 licensed and thus, Apple can maintain currency with the released version — and they have done so. Zsh has modern features in it such as associative arrays and filesystem recursion — to name just two features, but its far more powerful than Bash. You can read more about its features here, or here, if so inclined.

How to hide 'default interactive shell is now Zsh' message.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2019 8:18 AM in response to larosaf

You can remain on the ancient Bash 3.5.2 that dates back to 2007 — if you wish, as Apple is not removing it from Catalina.

Apple will never update Bash on macOS because GNU has assigned a GPL3 license to newer Bash versions, and Apple does not install any GPL3 licensed content within macOS. Zsh is not GPL3 licensed and thus, Apple can maintain currency with the released version — and they have done so. Zsh has modern features in it such as associative arrays and filesystem recursion — to name just two features, but its far more powerful than Bash. You can read more about its features here, or here, if so inclined.

How to hide 'default interactive shell is now Zsh' message.

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.