Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google search redirects to Yahoo

I am seeing some kind of virus in my Mac, any google search is getting redirected to yahoo. I am seeing apps like formalist.app which I have not downloaded. Any help to fix this issue is appreciated

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 10:15 AM

Uninstall any apps you do not recognize.

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS X

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2019 10:15 AM in response to hariharan66

Uninstall any apps you do not recognize.

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS X

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Google search redirects to Yahoo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.