Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad mini 1

I just recently purchased an Ipad mini 1st, and i noticed its not compatible with any of the apps I need. I check for system updates and it states all up to date with iOS 9.3.6. Does this Ipad not update higher? Or how can I update this ipad further ?

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 12:56 PM

Hello,

This iPad model does not support any system version newer than 9. You cannot update your iPad any further. If you need to use software that requires a newer system software version then you will need to purchase a newer iPad model.

6 replies

Dec 4, 2019 1:03 PM in response to IW2795

If you hadn't had this iPad long, return it and get your money back, if you can.

A 1st generation iPad Mini cannot upgrade beyond iOS 9.3.5/9.3.6.

This is an over 7-year old iPad, now!

It's internal hardware is too old, too underpowered and completely incompatible with much newer iOS versions for over 3 years, now!

Return it and get your money back!

To get the a more recent iOS version for an iPad Mini, you need an iPad Mini 2 or 3 which max. out at iOS 12.4.3 or an iPad Mini 4 or the new 2019 iPad Mini 5 which both run the most current versions of iPadOS 13.

Ipad mini 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.