Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Password Reset “Unknown error”

I am trying to reset my older Apple ID (@me) through Apple’s site. I enter my Apple ID, choose forgot password, choose enter birthdate (I no longer have access to the email address for the email option), but when I enter the answer to the security question (what I believe to be the answer) I am given an “unknown” error has occurred.

What options do I have to revive this account?

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 7:14 AM

Contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

6 replies

Dec 8, 2019 6:01 PM in response to Eric Root

Well I submitted form, then chatted with rep, then the rep had security rep call me. He tried on his end recreating the issue on his end and was successful recreating the "unknown error" issue using Safari on an iPad/iPod. When he first attempted to enter an answer, he did it from (I assume a Mac) and did NOT receive an error during 3 attempts. After that he was prompted saying the account was locked.

He wanted to assume that this "unknown error" may be a browser issue and suggested I try different browsers after the lockout periods ends, So I waited until it ended and I tried Microsoft Edge, IE11, Firefox 71, and Brave all on my Windows 10 laptop. I then tried DuckDuckGo and Safari and FireFox on my iPhone, all generated the same "unknown error".

Before I tried everything mentioned above, he did say he would contact Apple's technical team to see what could be causing the odd website error, which doesn't allow me to reset my account.

Apple ID Password Reset “Unknown error”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.