Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With the new Airpods, can i just use the noise cancellation mode and NOT listen to anything such as music etc.?

With the new Airpods, can i just use the noise cancellation mode and NOT listen to anything such as music etc.?

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 9:33 AM

Hi mekmd,

Yes, you can actually have your AirPods in with Noice Cancellation on (and still working) without listen to music. Haven’t you tried it already? Just plug in both Airpods and press and hold to switch between Transparency Mode and Noice Cancellation. Or set Noice Cancellation on in the control panel at the bottom or top left of your screen. Press and hold the volume button (you should see that the volume icon has changed into two AirPods) and open up the (3D Touch) menu where you can select Noice Cancellation.

Noice cancellation still works, even without music playing

Hope this works,

Kind regards

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2019 9:33 AM in response to mekdmd

Hi mekmd,

Yes, you can actually have your AirPods in with Noice Cancellation on (and still working) without listen to music. Haven’t you tried it already? Just plug in both Airpods and press and hold to switch between Transparency Mode and Noice Cancellation. Or set Noice Cancellation on in the control panel at the bottom or top left of your screen. Press and hold the volume button (you should see that the volume icon has changed into two AirPods) and open up the (3D Touch) menu where you can select Noice Cancellation.

Noice cancellation still works, even without music playing

Hope this works,

Kind regards

Dec 8, 2019 4:16 PM in response to mekdmd

Hello mekdmd,

I understand that while you have the Noise Cancellation on you're not able to listen to music. I am happy to help.

Check out the article below for help with the Noise Cancellation feature.

AirPods Pro Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency mode

Let me know if that resolves this issue for you. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. 

Take care.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.