Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am member AppleTV+. why pay for a movie?

My purchase of a iPhone11 gave me a one year subscription to AppleTV+ (normally $4.95/mon). So I used my Roku and went to AppleTV to watch a movie. (Ad Astra) BUT...They asked $19.95 for the movie!! Why do i have to pay Apple for the movie... ?? Isn’t that included in my free One year subscription to Apple TV+?

I’m confused.

I guess some Apple content is included but some not?

My Amazon Prime doesn’t charge for Amazon movies...

OR...are just *some* Apple movies and others are not?

The next movie after Ad Astra is FREE...why not Ad AStra?

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 4:59 AM

Your Amazon Prime has a few movies and original shows that are included with Prime, and Amazon can change that list at any time. They also offer streaming movies for purchase or rent, that are not included with Prime. Amazon also offers Ad Astra (2019) for $19.99 for purchase, similarly also no renting options at this time.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2019 4:59 AM in response to James Babcock

Your Amazon Prime has a few movies and original shows that are included with Prime, and Amazon can change that list at any time. They also offer streaming movies for purchase or rent, that are not included with Prime. Amazon also offers Ad Astra (2019) for $19.99 for purchase, similarly also no renting options at this time.

Dec 5, 2019 8:22 PM in response to James Babcock

Ad Astra is not included. It’s new and not an Apple production.

Prime has old movies. That’s why they are all included in the app.

Apple TV. Plus is not a stand alone app like Prime or Netflix

Apple TV. Plus is a channel found within the Apple TV App

The shows or movies included in your subscription will have the tv+ logo on them.

The movies app is for movies you buy or rent, with some directing you to open in Netflix etc.

Dec 6, 2019 8:53 AM in response to James Babcock

Thanx to Vancouver22 & Urquhart1244: Now I understand. Being somewhat new at this streaming business, my experience w/ Amazon was watching Amazonowned content. I am a SciFi nerd so that’s why I started w/ Amazon to enjoy the Expanse series plus The Man in the High castle series. Both are amazon - own content. my purchase of my iPhone11 led Apple to offer me a one year free of AppleTV+ channel. I signed up. bUt first also learned my 3 year old Roku was obsolete...so upgraded Roku and started to watch AppleTV+ channel. Not sure If I will keep it after the year.

Both of you explained it clearly. Again, tyhanx

Jim B

PS First time on Discussions for a long while. I was here a lot in the early-late 90’s chasing Mac issues. Now I seldom use iMac...do everything on iPad now.

I am member AppleTV+. why pay for a movie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.