Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I access my custom ringtones?

Years ago, I created some custom ringtones and downloaded them to my iPhone 4 via the iTunes program on Windows XP. Happily, the ringtones got migrated as I updated to later versions of the iPhone. I have an iPhone 6s now, and Windows 10. I just installed the iTunes app to access the old ringtones and they no longer show up.

Now, it seams, the ringtones are stuck on my phone with no way to access them. Is there something I can do?

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 1:06 PM

Ah, I'm guessing you've installed iTunes from the Microsoft Store on Windows 10. As a sandboxed Windows app iFunbox probably cannot connect to it to access the device. You'd need to uninstall iTunes and then reinstall using the more traditional setup file from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64. I'm just adding a note to that effect to the user tip.

tt2

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2019 1:06 PM in response to howardkinsd

Ah, I'm guessing you've installed iTunes from the Microsoft Store on Windows 10. As a sandboxed Windows app iFunbox probably cannot connect to it to access the device. You'd need to uninstall iTunes and then reinstall using the more traditional setup file from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64. I'm just adding a note to that effect to the user tip.

tt2

Dec 6, 2019 12:24 PM in response to howardkinsd

Since iTunes 12.7 iTunes no longer has management features for ringtones within the library, but it can still be used to create new ringtones, and transfer those you have on your computer to your device. Perhaps these images will make it clearer how you can copy those that are on your device to your computer.

I've copied the .m4r files on my device into a folder called D:\Recovered Tones, then changed the file extensions from .m4r to .m4a so that Windows can show the embedded metadata that is in most of them. This would let me rename the files to something more recognizable (e.g. change the first one to Calm Sound.m4r) for when I wanted to add them to another device. You can also preview the files without metadata in iTunes. The first is the Kill Bill Whistle Song, and the second Pachelbel's Canon in D.

tt2

How do I access my custom ringtones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.