Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac constantly wakes up from sleep after Catalina update

Mac wakes up continuously when sleeping. However, the night after a SMC reset, it sleeps without waking up. Just for one day. The following days it resumes the wakeup-party, maybe once every 10-30 minutes. The screen does not light up, and it goes back to sleep by itself.

I have no conscious setting that would trigger this.

• Everything in energy saver is checked off (besides put hard disks to sleep when possible)
  • No sleep/wake schedule
  • Bluetooth is not allowed to wake this computer
  • Notification center > Do not disturb when display is sleeping is checked
  • I turned wi-fi off, didn't help
  • SMC reset works just for one night (lol?)

Log: -iMac:~ $ log show --style syslog --start "2019-12-06" | fgrep "Wake reason"

2019-12-06 03:59:35 localhost powerd[130]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>"  identity: "<private>"

2019-12-06 03:59:54 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC XHC1 (Alarm)

2019-12-06 03:59:54 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC XHC1 (Alarm)

2019-12-06 04:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC XHC1 (Alarm)

2019-12-06 05:04:16.  localhost powerd[130]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>"  identity: "<private>"

2019-12-06 05:04:26 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

2019-12-06 05:05:06 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC XHC1 (Alarm)

2019-12-06 05:05:06 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC XHC1 (Alarm)

This always starts with <private> then it enlists RTC (real time clock?). I understand SMC is supposed to fix this RTC issue (didn't) but can someone enlighten me on what a <private> reason could be?

I never had a problem with Sierra. (my previous ancient OS)

USBs are a backup drive and a wacom tablet connected via USB and thunderbolt. 

I did disable the backup but the wacom is turned off and cannot start without its power button.

I hate to load my big files everyday after having to shut it down so it wouldn't wake me up.

Any help is much appreciated. :(

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 11:39 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 6, 2019 12:46 PM in response to ioana144

The RTC is the Real Time Clock. Perhaps it is trying to connect to the Internet to get the time. Does the problem persist if you turn on Wi-Fi or attach an Ethernet connection? If you do not observe the machine waking, then what makes you think it is waking? Those log entries you posted only indicate a momentary wake then back to sleep. This may all be an internal operation (why it is called private.)

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe - what does Safe mode do?
  4. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  5. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.

iMac constantly wakes up from sleep after Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.