Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Override app install security

I had a non-Apple app previously installed on my MacBook Air but it got erased at some point. Now when I try to reinstall, it won't let me. It's not available in the App Store so I'm downloading from the vendor site...which is exactly how I got it last time. But the Mac blocks the install every time.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 4:52 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 7, 2019 7:35 PM in response to snowcap2040

You need to go into the Security System Preferences and "allow" the app to run (there should be a button at the bottom right of the window). Or you can Control click on the app and select "Open" while holding the Control key. This will alert you that you are installing/running a potentially dangerous app and macOS will ask for your admin password to allow the app to run. You should only have to do this the first time you run the app.

Dec 12, 2019 8:52 AM in response to snowcap2040

If the "app" is a .pkg file or other type of installer, then this is normal behavior once the .pkg installer file has been run. If it is a .pkg file, then it will install the actual application which most likely is located in the "Applications" folder. When you run the app from the Applications folder for the first time you may need to approve it in the Security System Preferences or Control-click to open the app as I described previously.

Override app install security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.