Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with excel spreadsheet

I have been using a spreadsheet on excel which has become increasingly slower to the point now that it has become unusable. If I search the data I have enough time to put the kettle on before I get a result. I'm not sure but think the formatting is slowing it down but I don't know how to change this. For example one column is for entering names. If I start to type SM (for Smith) then all the names on the sheet that start with 'SM' come up on a list. This makes me think that, for lots of cells, there are is formatting that is looking in lots of other cells and this is slowing things down to the point that the sheet is pretty much a write off.

How can I remove the formatting or speed it up?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 1:25 PM

7 replies

Dec 8, 2019 3:03 PM in response to TrulyJulieIOM

Re Numbers, there are complex formulae that Numbers cannot calculate.

So for direct equivalence try Libre Office (free) Open your problem sheet in Libre Office and compare.

However my excel is lightening fast so make sure you have at least 8 preferably 16GB RAM and preferably SSD.

If its a single sheet workbook try select all, copy, and paste in a new workbook.

problem with excel spreadsheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.