Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer iMessages to a new iPhone fail how can I retrieve them on my new iPhone

Why won’t by iCloud backup restore my messages to a new iPhone from iPhone 5s

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 7:46 AM

Hello,

Thanks for posting your question on the Apple Support Communities!

The real question is, were your messages stored in iCloud Backup? In an iCloud Backup, data that isn't stored on iCloud is backed up and stored in the backup. So if you were using Messages in iCloud on the iPhone 5s, then the messages are not stored in the Backup.

You'll need to go to your iCloud Settings and enable Messages for them to come back.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2019 7:46 AM in response to allissa65

Hello,

Thanks for posting your question on the Apple Support Communities!

The real question is, were your messages stored in iCloud Backup? In an iCloud Backup, data that isn't stored on iCloud is backed up and stored in the backup. So if you were using Messages in iCloud on the iPhone 5s, then the messages are not stored in the Backup.

You'll need to go to your iCloud Settings and enable Messages for them to come back.

Transfer iMessages to a new iPhone fail how can I retrieve them on my new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.