Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple TV 4k: resolution can only be set as 1080p max?

I have apple TV 4K but max settings for the resolution is 1080P HDR?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 8:06 PM

Yes. I actually figured out my issue, too. I had an HDMI splitter so one signal could go to the TV and the other to my audio receiver. I removed the splitter and hooked up my Apple TV via HDMI 8K cable directly to the TV. The settings were already at the 4K HDR resolution when I went to change the resolution under settings. The Apple TV immediately recognized the change.

So, if anyone has this problem make sure you get a HDMI cables rated for at least 4K.

As an aside, I have had 4K video issues previously with other components besides the Apple TV and the issue were the cables. While you can get 4K HDMI cables cheaply, it may be worth going with 8K cables so the cables can be ruled out of any issues you may have with the Apple TV.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2019 8:06 PM in response to QuickPost

Yes. I actually figured out my issue, too. I had an HDMI splitter so one signal could go to the TV and the other to my audio receiver. I removed the splitter and hooked up my Apple TV via HDMI 8K cable directly to the TV. The settings were already at the 4K HDR resolution when I went to change the resolution under settings. The Apple TV immediately recognized the change.

So, if anyone has this problem make sure you get a HDMI cables rated for at least 4K.

As an aside, I have had 4K video issues previously with other components besides the Apple TV and the issue were the cables. While you can get 4K HDMI cables cheaply, it may be worth going with 8K cables so the cables can be ruled out of any issues you may have with the Apple TV.

apple TV 4k: resolution can only be set as 1080p max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.