Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does Apple’s GPS report a location to 911

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 2:14 PM

8 replies

Dec 9, 2019 2:19 PM in response to Bigbubba2

Having supported a 911 dispatch center in the past, I can tell you this is a difficult problem. Your location may be approximated based on your position between cellular towers. Depending on the agency, GPS may or may not be involved. A general statement would be if circumstances allow and a land line is available, use the land line to telephone 911 instead of a cellular telephone.

Dec 9, 2019 2:26 PM in response to Bigbubba2

Like sberman, I also managed the changeover of our enhanced 9-1-1 dispatch center to begin accepting cellular 9-1-1 calls. The process is extreme, and it would depend on the phase of wireless call taking the dispatch center is currently using. Phase 1 just allows the calls to go to the dispatch center. Phase 2 provides the Caller ID information with the call, and Phase 3 gives them the approximate location of the caller, and each cellular carrier can have a different way to present that to the dispatch center. While all of this happens in the background, and the caller, and the dispatcher have no idea which method is used. It actually has nothing to do with the handset, they all can report the information to the cellular network, it is now the network compiles the information and reports it to the dispatch center.

Dec 10, 2019 9:20 AM in response to Bigbubba2

Are you then referring to using the Fall Detection feature for the Apple Watch? There is no feature for that on the iPhone. If you experience a detected fall and your iPhone is nearby, it will be used to contact emergency services for your location. If you are unable to speak, and your emergency services is configured for location services for 9-1-1, then they will be able to locate you from the phone. Being in a home, location data can be approximate, however when I look at Find My on my iPhone for my location, it is relatively spot on for my house. Worse I've seen is a few feet into my front yard. I think it would get emergency services there.

Dec 11, 2019 12:52 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright, I also appreciate your kind words and thoughts. I worked with the Los Angeles Police Department when they retired their vintage 1970s home-grown computer aided dispatch system for 911 calls and held a competition among off-the-shelf vendors to choose a commercially available system to replace it. Los Angeles had passed a bond measure to improve their 911 system and build two new dispatch centers. I was on this project for five years. I learned a lot about 911 and what's involved in dispatching, and I believe the LAPD learned a lot about computing, what's involved in maintaining software, writing requirements, the merits of deploying commercial versus home-grown software, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.