Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backups for Mail

I bought a new WD USBC 4tb to create backups from my MacBook Pro.

I have been backing up now for 5 days.

When I open mail and then click the Time Machine icon and choose Enter Time Machine, it looks like there are no backups there. I cant scroll backwards through time and there appears to be no emails, even though the title bar shows a total number of emails. The Restore button is always greyed out.

Sometimes I have done the same and the emails do appear there but the Subject line doesnt show - instead it appears like t he subject is a sequence of random letters (and numbers?) ie AHB0XSA or similar.

As a side note, whilst in the updated Catalina Mail app, you can't move around or resize the mail columns, you can do this within the backup screen.

Any help/advice/suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 4:22 AM

FYI - going into to Time Machine when not in mail, works fine. It brings up the Time Machine finder and I can scroll through backups and choose what I want to restore.

Similar questions

1 reply

Time Machine Backups for Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.