Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unzip with my macOS Mojave 10.14.6

I have tried to unzip a file and the computer cannot find the programme to unzip. It has never happened before so I don't know if it has been deleted by mistake. What I can do now? Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 4:33 AM

4 replies

Dec 13, 2019 8:30 AM in response to VilliK

Hi there, VilliK.

I see that you're unable to uncompress a *.zip file on your Mac using macOS Mojave, and I'm glad to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and try unzipping it there. If it works while in safe mode, reboot normally and test again in your own user account.

Compress or uncompress files and folders on Mac -- If the file still won't uncompress in safe mode, try uncompressing the file one more time. Let me know of any error message you receive.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Dec 13, 2019 11:08 AM in response to VilliK

I have tried to unzip a file and the computer cannot find the programme to unzip

You have many options here:

— The Terminal.app as suggested above, (includes the trailing space) copy and paste:

unzip -q 

and simply drag & drop your <file.zip> to the terminal window.

I find this easiest if my zip is sitting on the Desktop, change the Terminal directory to Desktop, copy and paste:

cd Desktop

then continue as above.

— ArchiveUtility.app you can do a spotlight search (command spacebar) and click open

StuffitExpander.app shareware.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.