Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NEW SECURITY UPDATE 2019-007 10.13.6

i'm trying to download this update but it wont download and it stops at 177 mb then a message appears sayin

an error has occurred

the request timed out.(-1001)

i've tried another wifi and tried to connect to my iPhone's hotspot and it's not working at all

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 9:49 AM

i had a problem too.mine it did download it but when it tried to restart to complete the installation ,it stuck, screen went black and i waited for an hour to see what will happen.then i decided to turn it off from the button.i switched on and saw that it dint restarted the imac, meaning it dint complete the restart.i will wait.maybe there is a problem with the installation.i hope apple knows and hear us.

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 9:49 AM in response to loay9618

i had a problem too.mine it did download it but when it tried to restart to complete the installation ,it stuck, screen went black and i waited for an hour to see what will happen.then i decided to turn it off from the button.i switched on and saw that it dint restarted the imac, meaning it dint complete the restart.i will wait.maybe there is a problem with the installation.i hope apple knows and hear us.

Dec 16, 2019 3:10 AM in response to Ryoma76

Don't expect Apple to respond.

If you want a response from Apple, the best you are going to get is whether or not a bug has been submitted before on their free online developer system. And if you do, you will not be able to state here what the status is of it, as the non-disclosure agreement for joining forbids mentioning of it outside of developer channels. So my advice, if you want to know for your own personal verification, visit http://developer.apple.com/

and submit a bug report to http://bugreporter.apple.com/

You can also submit feedback to hhttp://www.apple.com/feedback

but in my experience I have never received a response to that form.

Jan 2, 2020 1:15 AM in response to Ramst3r

My problem was that security update 007-2019 wouldn't complete the update on my Mac Mini 2012

When I was prompted to update, I downloaded via App Store and followed instructions but every time, the update process stopped about half way through, saying "can not install update" and computer restarted back to the desktop.

Here's what worked :

Downloaded the update NOT via App Store, but directly from apple US :

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2026?locale=en_US

I switched my internet connection from ethernet via router, to WiFi, just to be sure the problems were not due to an unstable internet connection.

Double clicked the installer package, and followed the instructions

Computer restarted, began the update process (45 minutes it said at first)

now everything worked fine!

hope this can help :)

Dec 28, 2019 2:57 PM in response to loay9618

I had the same issue as many people in this thread where the screen would get stuck on black with the cursor showing and would not reboot to install the update. My iMac 2010 model has an SSD installed which I believe was a common feature for many in this thread.

This issue was simply solved for me by reinstalling macOS High Sierra over the top of my existing macOS High Sierra installation as follows:

1. Forcing shutdown by holding down the physical on/off button on the back of my iMac 2010.
  2. Upon reboot, holding down CMD + R to enter Recovery Mode. Note: The progress bar will move a lot slower during booting here than when it boots normally. Eventually the Mac will show the Recovery Screen options.
  3. Select option to reinstall the operating system. Note: This will NOT overwrite your existing data and settings. It essentially ensures that all the files and permissions that should be in place that are expected.

That's it. Let the re-installation finish and login as normal.

Good luck.

/G

Dec 12, 2019 5:46 PM in response to macman1585

Have the identical problem. Just hangs on black screen with the cursor. Tried a multitude of fixes, reinstalled OS, deleted some files that were recommended in another post where 10.13.6 did a similar thing. By deleting the files it did reboot without hanging but not when prompted to do so from the App Update file. Nothing has worked. Hopefully apple will work out what has happened.

Dec 13, 2019 7:43 AM in response to loay9618

I has a identical problem today, with install the security update 2019.007 10.13.6 on my iMac. After a couple of minutes my screen went black and stay's black, so a forced power off and waiting a few seconds, then pressed power button and my iMac started again and goes further with installing the update. So it seems this update does not work probably, people who wants install this update it seems buggy.

Dec 13, 2019 3:21 PM in response to BDAqua

Sorry, but this site is a complete scam!

You can google for whatever error you want and the number is just auto-inserted in allways the exact same text, presenting just a few common troubleshooting steps. Ending with an ad for some more then dubious "maintenance"-utility, which should most likely be as much avoided as the well known MacKeeper.

Dec 13, 2019 11:47 PM in response to loay9618

Have problem too. Seems it completed download but when I try to restart it, just hangs on black screen with the cursor on corner.

Currently, it always stops on the black screen when shutting down, so I need to press a physical button on the back of iMac to shut down...Of course, I see warning window every time I start...

Is there anyhow I could delete downloaded security files?

Or do we need to go back using time machine?

Has anyone solve this problem yet?

Dec 14, 2019 1:08 AM in response to fupp

I should not have rushed it, was leaving for an appointment.

After more extensive searching on An error occurred while setting file attributes, it's likely not much help, but so far I've only found that in reference to SSD installs, it does sound like a disk problem, & if it was minus 119 that's close to error -120 dirNFErr: Directory not found, & being new may have to do with APFS.

Dec 14, 2019 4:01 AM in response to Ryoma76

I don't know if the downloaded packages are kept anywhere as, when i try to start the update again it always starts downloading from the beginnig. So i think there is nothing to be deleted.

My "solution" for the moment was just disabeling "Automatically check for updates" in the App Store Prefs Pane. Just to not see this annoying "Updates available"-Notification anymore for as long as the update just doesn't work properly.

Dec 14, 2019 7:31 AM in response to loay9618

My 2013 MacBook tried to take a security update this morning and like others has reverted to a black screen. I have spoken with Apple and they eventually got me to reformat the HD and to reinstall Mojave. This failed too - and diagnostics referred to potential PPM003 and PPM004 issues. I spoke with Apple again - and we are currently trying to reinstall again. They said that the next option is to visit an Apple store for disk diagnostics as it may be a hardware error. Unfortunately, an Apple store is hours away!

Surely an approved software security update from Apple shouldn’t trash a disk! Who would cover the cost of it proves to be so?

Dec 14, 2019 8:42 AM in response to Patrick L

2013 is getting old. Furthermore, hardware issues tend to accumulate on older devices. You are out of their warranty period. Also the PRAM battery being low will have trouble maintaining system settings when it is over 4 years old. All updates depend on flawlessly or nearly flawlessly running hardware. If concerned about security, use Firefox, or Chrome instead of Safari.. Those are maintained without the tie in to hardware for much longer periods of time.

Dec 14, 2019 2:01 PM in response to a brody

Have been through to Apple again. HD reformatted again. Now restored - but I only got the option of Mavericks (the os when I bought the Mac I suspect). Was told I can’t update straight to Mojave or Catalina -will need to go via El Capitan. Have found and downloaded said OS but checksum invalid and no luck. This security update has completely trashed my machine and I am struggling to get it back. At least it appears not to be a hardware issue but a really poor security update

NEW SECURITY UPDATE 2019-007 10.13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.