Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selling phone to Apple-how to properly wipe clean a phone before selling it

A friend of mine sold her phone to our local Apple store. Apple said they will wipe it clean when they sell it. However, they did not. Subsequently, her Apple ID was hacked. Anyone know how to properly wipe a phone clean of all personal data before it's sold/given away? I was thinking of selling my old phone to Apple but now I think I'll keep it. I'd like to wipe it clean. Thanks.

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 9:56 PM

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Steps in the link above

5 replies

Dec 10, 2019 10:59 PM in response to Clubnev

Once reset to factory conditions it's pretty much impossible to hack. Theoretically the drive contents aren't strictly wiped, but rather the drive directory is reset. Then iOS and the system are built, which overwrites the drive. However, the reset process will toss away the previous encryption key and scouring "empty" portions of the drive is going to be useless without the key.

As far as what happened to your friend, you're really placing trust that someone accepting a device will do the right thing. Personally that sounds like an inside job if it was hacked.

Selling phone to Apple-how to properly wipe clean a phone before selling it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.