Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash not freeing up space

I've read a bunch of threads about this, both on this site and others, and I haven't found any solution, so here it is.

My MacBook Pro has been running out of space a lot recently. So I've been trying to get rid of old stuff I don't need and more stuff to iCloud to make space. I just copied my iMovie Library file (iMovie Library.imovielibrary) onto an external disk and then deleted it. It was almost 80 gigs and I only had about 5 gigs free at the time. After deleting it I still only had 5 gigs free. Nothing changed. If I right click Macintosh HD and choose "Manage Storage" the space used by Documents (where it was located) has gone down 80 gigs, but if I right click Macintosh HD and click "get info" or go to About This Mac and choose storage the available storage has not changed. How do I get the storage back? I can't..delete it again to try and fix it because it's gone.

Thanks,

Seth

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 1:36 AM

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206996

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 11, 2019 2:06 AM in response to seth_p

It may not appear to be free but is still available.

Time Machine will fill available space with snapshots.

Nuclear option:-

First make a Time Machine backup for safety.

Get another external drive the size of your internal drive

Buy Carbon Copy Cloner and create a bootable clone.

Boot from the clone and clone back to the internal drive.

All sorts of junk will disappear.

Trash not freeing up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.