Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to control the Music app from iPhone. MaOS 10.15.2

I am trying to use the remote app in my iPhone X (with iOS 13.3) to control the Music app in my Mac (macOS 10.15.2). When using Home Sharing the library view is loaded but I cannot start playing any song and if starting it in the Mac nothing appears in the "Now playing" tab.

If I link the remote manually (with the 4 digit code) then it works perfectly.

The problem has to be in the Mac Music app as the symptoms are EXACTLY THE SAME in my old iPhone 6 with iOS12.4

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 11:56 AM

4 replies

Dec 15, 2019 3:23 PM in response to dexxxtro

Hello dexxxtro, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! I see from your post that the Remote app which is running on your iPhone X, running iOS 13.3, is not working with Music on your Mac, even after installing the latest macOS Catalina update. 

You've done nice work testing out with another device and finding that you have to link the remote app manually for it to work. Based on that information, I would begin with these troubleshooting steps which will help to isolate the issue further: 

1 - Quit Music on your Mac. If it will not quit, follow these steps to force it to quit: How to force an app to quit on your Mac

2 - Restart your iMac: Go to the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen > Restart. 

3 - Restart your iPhone following these steps: Restart your iPhone.

4 - If the issue persists, restart in safe mode and test again: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

5 - If still occurring in safe mode you’ll need to create a new user and test it out again. This article will show you how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Let me know the results.

All the best.  

Not able to control the Music app from iPhone. MaOS 10.15.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.