Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating new user

Hi,

I have an early MacBook pro on Catalina. I've had a single user, but became convinced that the user file was corrupted (it ostensibly was twice the size of the individual files, other files seemed to have disappeared (I do have outside backup, but on highsierra)). - Anyway, my solution was to create another user, then shift the files etc. from the old to the new, and then trash the old (corrupt) file. However, between varied permissions on different files, bookmarks for Safari, and Mail Accounts, I'm finding this pretty hard to do, and in fact so far have not succeeded. - Is there a relatively straight forward way to go about this? thanks for any help - Ray

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 5:11 PM

Get Info on the Old user's home folder in /Users.

Click the padlock to authenticate.

Add your new user to the list with read privileges.

Copy the files from the old user to the new user account.

Making copies while logged into the new user account should set the permissions correctly on the files.

Once done, delete the old user from Users & Groups and choose the option to delete the home folder.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 5:11 PM in response to Raymond Nelson

Get Info on the Old user's home folder in /Users.

Click the padlock to authenticate.

Add your new user to the list with read privileges.

Copy the files from the old user to the new user account.

Making copies while logged into the new user account should set the permissions correctly on the files.

Once done, delete the old user from Users & Groups and choose the option to delete the home folder.

creating new user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.