Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove an "incorrect" face in Photos/iPhone? And face syncing issues.

I plugged my iPhone into the mains, and locked it - which is what you have to do so it can scan your photo library to detect+name faces.

However some faces it's assumed wrongly and named them as someone else.

How can I correct it and tell the iPhone that person is not who it thinks it is?

I cannot see any way to do this.

Also, why are the people different on my iPhone compared with Photos on my iMac?

iPhone calls them People, but on my iMac they are called Faces. And they are NOT synced at all. For example, the photos of myself are not consistent between devices.

I am using iCloud.

iPhone is using software version 12.4.1

iMac is running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G22010)

and is running Photos Version 1.5 (370.42.0)

Thanks in advance for any help!

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 5:29 AM

7 replies

Dec 12, 2019 5:51 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Thank you!!! :-)

Wow, that's it! Very un-user friendly and not obvious at all. One has to scroll all the way to the right, at the bottom until you see the "not this person" icon. Very hidden. I'm not sure anyone would even think to look there.

Bad design because you cannot do it from the photo itself, you have to first go to the top and press "select" and then actually select the photo in order to correct the face (!)

They could and should have made this process much easier, with fewer steps ;-)

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

Fix mixed-up names and faces

If you notice that there's a photo of someone in a collection that's misidentified, you can remove it.

1. Tap the person that you want to remove in the People album > Select.
  2. Tap Show Faces to focus on just the person’s face in each photo.
  3. Tap each photo that isn't of the person.
  4. Tap  > Not This Person.

Dec 12, 2019 7:54 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Is there a way to manually add a photo of someone to their correct People album on the iPhone?

I have selected it and tried to add to the album but the People album is not showing up.

I have also swiped upwards to try to reveal the relevant People album - but nothing is showing up there.

Normally the People album shows up in a circular thumbnail, but this time it's not there.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Dec 12, 2019 8:35 AM in response to Abstractman23

Is there a way to manually add a photo of someone to their correct People album on the iPhone?

No, on an iPhone you can only add people to the people album, where Photos recognized a face in the photo. If you have a Mac as well and use iCloud Photos, you can add the face in Photos for Mac, than let it sync to your iPhone.

On your iPhone you can only help Photos to recognize a face in the photo by retouching it in Pixelmator or similar and pasting a faces thumbnail into one corner of the photo. It would be too much trouble and spoil the photo. Frankly, if you do not have a Mac, I would simply create a new standard album and name it like the person. Then add the photo to this new custom people album. When you search for this person by entering the name, you will find your custom album and the main People album for this person.

How do I remove an "incorrect" face in Photos/iPhone? And face syncing issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.