Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Postscript type 1 font files on catalina

So trying to transition to Catalina and I am finding that most of my postscript type 1 font files show up as zero bytes on Catalina. They won't install on Font Book.

Anyone else having these same problems.

Did Apple drop support for Postscript Type 1 fonts?

This has been the most painful migration for me since OS9 to OS X.

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 1:26 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 12, 2019 2:31 PM in response to Jessek

It sounds like you did something with those fonts. Like put them on a drive or server that does not support the saving of Apple's resource fork. All Type 1 PostScript, and OS 9 or older TrueType fonts have all of their data in the resource fork, rather than the data fork. If you lose the resource fork, you're left with a zero byte font. You'll have to retrieve fresh copies from their original location.

Yes, T1 PS fonts were not working across the board in Catalina in 10.15.1. They'd appear in all of the Adobe apps, but not in MS Office, Quark XPress and other apps.

Tested again just now, and they now work everywhere (as they should) under 10.15.2.

Dec 12, 2019 2:49 PM in response to Jessek

Only a Type 1 font suitcase appears to work in application font menus in Catalina. Type 1 outline fonts alone will not work.

Also, copying the font suitcase and outlines through iCloud Drive just truncated these files to zero. That would correspond with Kurt's observation of stripping these specialized resource forks from them.

I wound up placing them in a folder, zipped that folder, passed that folder through iCloud Drive, and then unzip that folder in my local library Fonts folder (~/Library/Fonts). I never bother with Font Book, as that local Fonts folder is on the default System search list for fonts.

When using Pages v8.2.1 on Catalina 10.15.2, I was able to see the 16 font faces from my ITC Garamond folder, though the Pages font menu just displayed ITC Garamond:

Postscript type 1 font files on catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.