Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help trying to set up new Seagate Barracuda SSD to replace old Macbook Pro hd

I just received my new Seagate Barracuda SSD 1TB SATA hard drive and I wanted to use it to replace the stock Macbook HD since it's on it's last limb. I've tried using the disk utility, but every time I try to restore the new hard drive as the current HD, I keep getting an error message saying I can't do it because I have read-only permission. When I get into the disk info, I don't have the ability to change my own permission to read-write. I have High Sierra OS and from what I've read, they disabled the ability to make it read-write. Is there any sort of work around for this? I've tried for a few hours now searching and calling Seagate's customer service, but I can't find anything specific to my issue. Thanks in advance.

I should add, this is the message I get whenever i try to use disk utility:

Validating target...

Validating source...

Source volume is read-write and cannot be unmounted, so it can't be block copied.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 19.)

Operation failed…

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 6:51 PM

I recommend trying Carbon Copy Cloner...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Similar questions

3 replies

Need help trying to set up new Seagate Barracuda SSD to replace old Macbook Pro hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.