Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Subtitle font size can't be changed in tvOS 13.3

Hi,

In General>Accessibility>Subtitles and Captioning I can change every aspect related to subtitle such as font type, font color, background color and so one.

Every change I make works perfectly... EXCEPT font size... whatever size I chose.... NO CHANGE at all.

This worked perfectly until version 13.3.

How to change subtitle font size to large or extra large?

Thanks for helping out!!

Kind regards, Stef

Apple TV 4, tvOS 13

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 8:00 AM

9 replies

Dec 20, 2019 10:38 PM in response to StefHoff

I have the exact same issue since TVos 13.3. And because I cannot downgrade, I am stuck. Please fix this in the next version of TVos. I cannot watch any movies anymore with this small subtitle size!

This is the size of the subtitle with font size set to Extra Large.

These are my settings. (it's in Dutch, but says, Font Size Extra Large). All the other settings do appear correct. But font size is really needed to be able to read the text.

Dec 20, 2019 11:35 PM in response to avanees

Description bug: custom styles for font sizes don't appear in video apps, like Netflix. the font type and other properties are correctly shown, it's just the font size that doesn't match anymore. It doesn't increase in size when setting it to large or extra large.

Reproduction steps:

1. go to general --> accessibility --> Subtitles and Captioning --> Style --> Edit styles --> new style

2. set text --> Size to Extra Large and Video Overrides Style to Off (see screenshot file)

3. Open Netflix app or any other video app that uses the subtitles of the apple tv

4. The video shows the subtitles very very small. Tested it on 4k sony tv and also on samsung full hd tv. (See screenshot file)

Expected behavior:

In step 4, the subtitles should become extra large. I don't have a screenshot of that, but is was much much larger before the update of 13.3 build 17K5449a.

Adding the settings page in english

And video screenshot again:

Dec 21, 2019 8:53 AM in response to StefHoff

This issue is now under investigation by Apple.

With help of Apple Support I've investigated & tried every option.

Then reinstalled iOS from scratch... nothing worked, problem description remains same.

It is now registered and Apple SW Dev't will look into it.

Most probably this can only be solved in next iOS update.

Will post new developments here.

Subtitle font size can't be changed in tvOS 13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.