Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I retrieve my deleted text messages if not backed up

How do I retrieve my deleted text messages, if not backed up?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 11:36 PM

Delete a message or conversation

When you delete a message or conversation, you can't get it back. So make sure that you save important information from your messages.

2 replies

Dec 13, 2019 11:43 PM in response to Cmasters3293

If you have a backup on iTunes you can restore from it. But you will lose all data, currently on your iPhone if you make one single mistake. So follow the steps very carefully.

The process is made for Mac owners.

(Warning: Every step is IMPORTANT)

1. Locate Backup on Finder > Go > Go to Folder... (~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/)
  2. Move the old iTunes Backup to a separate Folder / Drive. (Do not delete the BackUp Folder)
  3. Take a fresh iTunes BackUp on your Mac (Or else you will lose all new data, photos, Notes etc)
  4. After the Backup Completes
  5. Locate Backup on Finder > Go > Go to Folder... (~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/)
  6. Now Move the NEW iTunes Backup to a separate Folder / Drive
  7. Then Move Back (The 2nd Step Process) the old iTunes Backup (under ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
  8. Restore from Old BackUp via iTunes (Not iCloud)
  9. Retrieve your Notes / iMessages / Photos etc...
  10. Move the old iTunes Backup to a separate Folder / Drive
  11. Now Move back (The 6th Step Process) the NEW iTunes Backup under ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
  12. Restore from New BackUp via iTunes (Not iCloud)

How do I retrieve my deleted text messages if not backed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.