Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation works for a few sentences, and then stops! How do I keep dictating continuously?keep dictating continuously?

Dictation works for a few sentences, and then stops! How do I keep dictating continuously?keep dictating continuously?

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 6:04 PM

Talked to Apple support. I had to select a different language and then everything worked. You can use the vocabulary function with American English, but it doesn't appear to be available for any other Englishes. I tried adding special spelling to the vocabulary option, and initial tests in Microsoft Word suggested that it worked. However, it didn't work in Scrivener entirely and when I tested it in Word again, it reverted to American spelling.

I write for Canadian audiences, so not having the proper spelling could be an issue, but I use software to double check my spelling, so hopefully I can figure out a workaround. At the very least, dictation doesn't randomly stop anymore.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2019 6:04 PM in response to BDAqua

Talked to Apple support. I had to select a different language and then everything worked. You can use the vocabulary function with American English, but it doesn't appear to be available for any other Englishes. I tried adding special spelling to the vocabulary option, and initial tests in Microsoft Word suggested that it worked. However, it didn't work in Scrivener entirely and when I tested it in Word again, it reverted to American spelling.

I write for Canadian audiences, so not having the proper spelling could be an issue, but I use software to double check my spelling, so hopefully I can figure out a workaround. At the very least, dictation doesn't randomly stop anymore.

Dec 14, 2019 8:31 AM in response to OldAlumnus

Hello,

Could it be this cure from 10.8???

You need to enable enhanced dictation in the dictation area of settings. Your mac will then download a fairly hefty (750MB ish) file. This will allow you to dictate off line, and to keep talking to your mac indefinitely. You will need additional downloads for thinks like Australian English. It works OK, but it messes up quite a few words on my Aussie/kiwi/English mongrel accent!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.