Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charger 12 w - iPad Pro 10,5" 2nd Generation (2017)

Hello,

I want to ask you if the attached charger is a fake or not.

Please let me know, thanks.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 4:40 PM

I have two of the 12W versions myself. While mine have the standard North American bladed duckhead plug, other than that they seem the same except for the "Geprüfte Sicherheit" logo that is for German electronics safety certification. Apple has otherwise identical equipment that's marked with different certification marks (or even different languages) depending on where it will be distributed. As far as I know there's no database of all labels that Apple uses. I can confirm that my 10W power adapter (came with an iPad Mini 2 sold in the United States) has the GS logo. Not sure why, but if you're looking at the following page, it's only showing the US versions. I looked at the various languages for that page, and all just show the US versions.

About Apple USB power adapters - Apple Support

It's also a little bit difficult to read that with the yellowish lighting.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 4:40 PM in response to GVG78

I have two of the 12W versions myself. While mine have the standard North American bladed duckhead plug, other than that they seem the same except for the "Geprüfte Sicherheit" logo that is for German electronics safety certification. Apple has otherwise identical equipment that's marked with different certification marks (or even different languages) depending on where it will be distributed. As far as I know there's no database of all labels that Apple uses. I can confirm that my 10W power adapter (came with an iPad Mini 2 sold in the United States) has the GS logo. Not sure why, but if you're looking at the following page, it's only showing the US versions. I looked at the various languages for that page, and all just show the US versions.

About Apple USB power adapters - Apple Support

It's also a little bit difficult to read that with the yellowish lighting.

Dec 16, 2019 3:31 PM in response to GVG78

Looks can be deceiving - some “fakes” are indistinguishable from the genuine article unless forensically examined by an expert.

It’s impossible from a photograph of information printed on the device to provide authoritative guidance as to provenance. The best (and safest) way to avoid any possibility of acquiring counterfeit goods is to buy directly from an authorised retailer. Caveat Emptor.

What makes you think you could have a fake anyway...?

Dec 16, 2019 10:59 PM in response to GVG78

It's either genuine or a very convincing fake. ;-)

I noticed your background showing Apple's guide on identifying an Apple 12W power adapter. I just wouldn't count on the label of the US version of the power adapter in the guide matching one sold in a different country. There's no solid reason for why another country's/region's certification marks are found on devices sold somewhere else.

But yeah - that looks like a genuine Apple power adapter.

Charger 12 w - iPad Pro 10,5" 2nd Generation (2017)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.