Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail flashes image of message when downloading messages

For the last several weeks Mail flashes the same image of an incoming message as each new message is downloaded to the Mac. This is about one second intervals and can take 20 seconds or so. Any other activity on the computer stops.

At first I thought it might be SpamSeive, which was upgraded, but disabling that program has made no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance !!!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 3:04 PM

Hello Edward M. Baum,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that Mail is flashing the same image of an incoming message with each new message downloaded. I recommend testing the issue while your Mac is in safe mode and/or in a new user account. This will help determine the cause of the issue. The following articles have the steps you will need to test the issue in both safe mode and in a new user account: 

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 3:04 PM in response to Edward M. Baum

Hello Edward M. Baum,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that Mail is flashing the same image of an incoming message with each new message downloaded. I recommend testing the issue while your Mac is in safe mode and/or in a new user account. This will help determine the cause of the issue. The following articles have the steps you will need to test the issue in both safe mode and in a new user account: 

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Apple Mail flashes image of message when downloading messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.