Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13.3 iMessage activation fails on google fi

read the title, I've been bumped around all day by google fi and apple support and have found a few others experiencing this issue on macrumors. has anyone else experienced this? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imessage-activation-fail-on-google-fi-and-ios-13-3.2215552/?post=28070337#post-28070337

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 1:54 PM

Thanks for the completely unhelpful answer. I Thought maybe other people would have experienced it and maybe have some workaround or something. Also, just because my issue seems related to google fi doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be experienced by other carriers hence why I’m here as well as in google support forums.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 1:54 PM in response to anypats

Thanks for the completely unhelpful answer. I Thought maybe other people would have experienced it and maybe have some workaround or something. Also, just because my issue seems related to google fi doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be experienced by other carriers hence why I’m here as well as in google support forums.

Dec 16, 2019 2:05 PM in response to Jalomas7

Again, Google says that Google Fi with an iPhone is in beta. Any time you are using beta versions of hardware or software there are going to be problems. That's why it's in beta and hasn't been fully released. I mean they make you change your text settings to send texts to non-iPhones and you may need to do that with every iOS release. Sure, someone else may have Google Fi on their iPhone in these communities but I'm just letting you know that this lies with Google and not Apple since you stated in your original message that Apple Support hasn't been able to help. As of now, no one else has replied.

Dec 17, 2019 6:51 AM in response to Jalomas7

The "Beta" guy makes me laugh.

The issue with iOS 13.3 is specifically related to re-activating iMessage and Facetime. If iMessage is working prior to the upgrade to 13.3, chances are good it will work afterwards too. Should you pull your SIM or turn off iMessage, you won't be able to activate it again. During the attempt you will get weird texts from Fi that you should never see. I am told these texts are as a result of some kind of registration handshake error. In my case, my 11Pro Max worked flawlessly with iMessage for a month prior to 13.3. In fact, I have Verizon in the eSIM and Fi in the physical slot. Both numbers were activated for iMessage. I have tested iMessage activation with Fi on my 11, an XS and an 8 Plus. Same results.

Both Google and Apple are clueless on the errors. I have spoken to level 2 for both. I suspect the "fix" needs to come from Google and not Apple (13.3 still activates just fine with my AT&T and Verizon SIMS in the same phones). It will probably take more people experiencing the problem and complaining/posting before Google wakes up.

Downgrading might be an option, but I have read on other sites that success is hit or miss and you might lose data. I also hate for people to miss out on the latest bug fixes and security updates. Sometimes that is worse.

We all need to keep contacting Google and following up!

Dec 17, 2019 7:57 AM in response to anypats

well, your comment wasn't helpful to the discussion and was dismissive of the poster. The fact is, regardless of Fi's "beta" status, the gentleman's question was and still is relevant to other Apple users who use Google Fi as a carrier. You seem to also be conflating an Apple beta that might be fraught with bugs and problems (like iOS 13) with what Google refers to as it's Fi "iPhone beta". The reason Fi requires iPhone tweaked cellular data network settings has nothing to do with the Apple hardware per se or the "beta" tag, but rather the advanced nature of Fi's carrier switching technology.

Dec 19, 2019 4:12 PM in response to anypats

As of today the issue is fixed! You should be able to activate iMessage without issue now using Google Fi SIM.

I just activated! ... after a week of it absolutely not working and getting the weird registration SMS texts it just clicked and I have my check mark.

Let's hope we don't "get broke" again when 13.3.1 hits in a couple weeks.

IOS 13.3 iMessage activation fails on google fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.