Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted text messages

I just spoke with Apple Support and they told me there is no way to recover deleted text message chains! Is this REALLY true?? I accidentally deleted years of text messages and photos from my husband... heart broken :'(

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 7:29 PM

Your deleted text messages are saved on your latest iPhone backup - unless you housed your messages in iCloud.

That latest backup will contain messages that were present on the iPhone when the backup was created. Restore that backup to retrieve the messages.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

I'm guessing there is some reason this won't work for you, since the Apple Support person did not suggest this.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 7:29 PM in response to Samsma123

Your deleted text messages are saved on your latest iPhone backup - unless you housed your messages in iCloud.

That latest backup will contain messages that were present on the iPhone when the backup was created. Restore that backup to retrieve the messages.

I'm guessing there is some reason this won't work for you, since the Apple Support person did not suggest this.

Dec 16, 2019 7:26 PM in response to Samsma123

If you activated iCloud Messaging they are indeed gone and cannot be recovered. This is why it does a second confirmation before you can delete anything.

If you did not, and you have been backing up your iPhone, you can restore your iPhone from your backup and get them back. You will lose any data added since that date/time of that backup.

Deleted text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.