Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Mac OS asking me to permit it total control over my Gmail?

I just updated to Mojave and a pop-up said I need to enter my password for my Gmail account. But when I clicked on the window, it said I had to do it in Safari (huh, ***?), so I opened Safari, and not only does it want me to enter my password, but wants permission to compose, send, delete emails, read all of them, etc, etc,! This is not cool, and especially when it offers zero explanation as to why this outrageous request is made, as I've never, ever done that before. Anyone know why this has occurred?

Here's what it wants:

Sign in with Google

macOS wants to access your Google Account

This will allow macOS to:

Read, compose, send, and permanently delete all your email from Gmail

See, edit, download, and permanently delete your contacts

See, edit, share, and permanently delete all the calendars you can access using Google Calendar

View and send chat messages

Make sure you trust macOS

You may be sharing sensitive info with this site or app. Learn about how macOS will handle your data by reviewing its terms of service and privacy policies. You can always see or remove access in your Google Account.

Learn about the risks

Allow

Cancel

‪English (United States)‬

[Email Edited by Moderator]

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 9:51 AM

Well, I called Apple, and found out it's just a formality Google is requiring, telling them it's OK for Apple Mail to do all those things, but it's we who are doing it, not the "OS", not Apple, and so it's just the big brother wording that gives so creepy an impression as to what it means... Google should really explain it a bit more simply, & in user-friendly language...

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2019 9:51 AM in response to Lexiepex

Well, I called Apple, and found out it's just a formality Google is requiring, telling them it's OK for Apple Mail to do all those things, but it's we who are doing it, not the "OS", not Apple, and so it's just the big brother wording that gives so creepy an impression as to what it means... Google should really explain it a bit more simply, & in user-friendly language...

Dec 16, 2019 9:04 PM in response to Saxman

Can you please detail how you received these "demands". Was it a pop up while in Finder or a browser pop up?

I have never heard of anything like it from mac OS - I suspect it would be a scam, malware or some such. Hopefully you have not supplied any information?

And, since these are public online forums, please do not post personal details such as an email address as it is not safe. I've asked the mods to remove it.

Dec 16, 2019 10:32 PM in response to babowa

Thanks for having the email address removed...

As for the popup, it looked pretty official, and I did find another thread, from about six months ago, where it happened to someone else, and a few others mentioned the same experience. It popped up while I was in a browser, but I'm not sure it was actually a part of the browser. And since it asked, no, it demanded it be done within Safari (which I thought really odd), when I clicked on that option, it did open Safari. Even more bizarre is that I was getting my gmail messages downloaded to my Mac Mail app, so I don't know what this was all about. The actual popup window vanished before I could take a screenshot, but I didn't grant the permission, and it hasn't popped up again....

Why is Mac OS asking me to permit it total control over my Gmail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.