Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop icon missing

Hi,

I am afraid I lost everything on my mac. I did the Catalina update and I don't know how to use icloud, every icon on my desktop is missing.

How can I do?

thank you

s.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 11:59 AM

Go to the Finder Sidebar and see if you see iCloud Drive there. If you do, select it and see if your Desktop icons are there. If you don't see iCloud Drive in the Finder Sidebar, do to Finder/Preferences/Sidebar/Favorites and check iCloud Drive.

If you see the icons there, if you go to System Preferences/Apple ID/iCloud Drive/Options, you probably have Optimization on and Desktop and Documents syncing on. You can turn both off if desired. Then in Finder, drag the files from iCloud Drive to your Desktop.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2019 11:59 AM in response to silvia1315

Go to the Finder Sidebar and see if you see iCloud Drive there. If you do, select it and see if your Desktop icons are there. If you don't see iCloud Drive in the Finder Sidebar, do to Finder/Preferences/Sidebar/Favorites and check iCloud Drive.

If you see the icons there, if you go to System Preferences/Apple ID/iCloud Drive/Options, you probably have Optimization on and Desktop and Documents syncing on. You can turn both off if desired. Then in Finder, drag the files from iCloud Drive to your Desktop.

desktop icon missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.