Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple Store Gift Card from Trade-in

Is there a way to apply an Apple Store gift card on a previous purchase?

I am looking to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro 15.4-in from Apple; however, I understand that Apple does not let you set up a trade-in in the checkout screen when purchasing a refurbished laptop. Thus, I was thinking of just using the mail-in trade in process to get an Apple store gift card to apply to my purchase for a refurbished laptop.

I use my current MacBook Pro for personal and work use, so I do not want to be out of a laptop for 2-3 weeks while I wait for it to get evaluated and I receive the gift card. I would much rather purchase the refurbished laptop that I like online, transfer my files over to the new laptop, and then mail in my current one laptop for credit. Thus, I was wondering if it’s at all possible to apply the Apple store gift card to the refurbished laptop AFTER I have already paid for it in full (such that I would be “refunded” an amount equivalent to that which is on the Apple store gift card). Is this something that is possible? Or alternatively, once I have both the refurbished laptop and the Apple store gift card, am I allowed to “return” the refurbished laptop in store, and then re-purchase it that same day but apply the gift card?

I’ve spoken with so many Apple representatives at this point and they all give me different answers. I just want to know so I can decide whether I should buy the refurbished laptop now or not.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 9:14 PM

Well, unfortunately, we are all other users here and do not work for Apple. This is the only thing I could find:

https://www.apple.com/legal/giftcards/applestore/us/

It does not mention previous purchases; however, as far as I know, you cannot use it for a previous purchase.

Also note: if you use the option to send in your trade in, make sure you take pics of the condition of the device before you send it and insure it for the full value - just in case.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 9:14 PM in response to a-tapioca

Well, unfortunately, we are all other users here and do not work for Apple. This is the only thing I could find:

https://www.apple.com/legal/giftcards/applestore/us/

It does not mention previous purchases; however, as far as I know, you cannot use it for a previous purchase.

Also note: if you use the option to send in your trade in, make sure you take pics of the condition of the device before you send it and insure it for the full value - just in case.

Using Apple Store Gift Card from Trade-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.