Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hot iPad when playing games

Sometimes when I play games on my iPad it gets really hot. Is there a way to stop this? Also does this happen to everyone or do I have a faulty iPad?

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 10:04 PM

If you play serious iPad hardware/software resource intense/heavy games, an iPad will get very warm and maybe even hot.

To keep the heat down, play the game at a lower screen brightness and make sure you have no other apps that are still getting data from Internet when they are in the background/iOS background app switcher, while you are playing heavy iPad resource type games.

You do this by going into the Settings app, General > Background App Refresh and either toggle this OFF globally for ALL apps or toggle OFF Background App Refresh, individually in the generated list, for any app you feel does NOT need to have its data regularly refreshed in the background.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 10:04 PM in response to V12BULL

If you play serious iPad hardware/software resource intense/heavy games, an iPad will get very warm and maybe even hot.

To keep the heat down, play the game at a lower screen brightness and make sure you have no other apps that are still getting data from Internet when they are in the background/iOS background app switcher, while you are playing heavy iPad resource type games.

You do this by going into the Settings app, General > Background App Refresh and either toggle this OFF globally for ALL apps or toggle OFF Background App Refresh, individually in the generated list, for any app you feel does NOT need to have its data regularly refreshed in the background.

Dec 16, 2019 10:22 PM in response to V12BULL

Another thing I thought of

Do not play iPad hardware/software resource intense games when your iPad is connected to external power and trying to charge while still using the iPad to play these types of iPad hardware/software resource intense games.

This will cause both the Apple power/charging block to heat up, as well as, causing the iPad to heat up, too!

Hot iPad when playing games

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.