Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library will not open after Catalina upgrade

Have seen a few topics for this, and followed all the suggestions I can find, but I'm still having trouble opening my Photos Library.

When I open Photos, it attempts to rebuild the library, counts from 1-6, then shoots to 100 and then I get this error (4302)

Having read other support topics, I've tried:

1. Opening another library. Photos will not create another library (I get an immediate Error PHPhotosErrorInvalidState)
  2. Tried repairing the library, it goes from 1-100, then restarts the repair process, and then I get the same error as above (4302).
  3. I've tried rebuilding permissions at Disk level and from Home folder down, restarting MacBook
  4. I've tried resetting SMC & PRAM/NVRAM.
  5. I've tried opening in Safe Mode, and repeating the above suggestions

Essentially, I've tried everything I can find on Apple Support knowledgebase but it's made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.1, I'm just downloading 10.15.2 as I write this, but in the developer notes, there's no mention of this fix in there, but I'm trying it at least.

Anyone got any other suggestions please? Time is now getting desperate.

For info, my library file is 144GB, but I'm told this shouldn't be an issue. I have nearly 20 years of photos in here (and a backup via CrashPlan) but I'm getting worried now that this library is somehow permanently corrupted.

Serious answers only please // no smart-*** responses

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 4:36 AM

So - to close the thread in case this helps anyone else, actually the upgrade to Catalina 10.15.2 automatically fixed it. I simply upgraded my OS, and then opened Photos, and it fully restored the Photos library without any further intervention.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 17, 2019 2:45 PM in response to SwissVirtuosity

"Serious answers only please // no smart-*** responses" is quite off-putting because no-one knows what you will consider to be a foolish response

First principles suggest that you may get a result by booting onto Safe Mode, which has automagic cleanup routines. It may not help, but it is a worthwhile experiment

I found that my photos library was sometimes resistant to opening. The first time I opened it in Catalina I had to access the library via Finder and double click it. I had to rebuild it a couple of times. When that failed I opened Photos in Repair Mode. Eventually that solved my problems. I have no idea whether it will solve yours

Dec 17, 2019 3:45 PM in response to Lurkums

Thanks for your response. I'm not being judgemental about who's responding or the help I'm looking for, I'm just a little fed up with useless / know-it-all suggestions that are not answering my question - for example: "Why don't you try using Adobe instead?" etc. :-)

Anyway I've think I've pretty much tried everything you've suggested as I explained in my OP. Tried Safe Mode, and not aware of any 'automagic' clean-up routines on Photos other than what I've already mentioned, unless you know of any specific routines?

Also, tried many different ways of opening and repairing the library, but it's not appearing to make any difference at all, as I've explained.

Appreciate your help

Photos Library will not open after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.