Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a 2009 iMac to a 2019 Macbook Pro to use as a monitor

I'm trying to connect a 2009 iMac to a 2019 Macbook Pro to use as a monitor. I can't get it to recognize. I bought the Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. I'm using Thunderbolt 2 cable. When I go to display preferences the option to extend monitors doesn't show up. If I hold down the option key I can see the Detect Displays button (not visible without holding down the option key) but nothing happens when I click it. I've also tried using a mini display port cable but, again, I don't see an option to extend monitors in system preferences

Anybody have a solution?

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 2:11 AM

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010: Use a Mini DisplayPort cable"

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

"This adapter is not compatible with displays that use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort"

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 2:11 AM in response to ubetterdont

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010: Use a Mini DisplayPort cable"

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

"This adapter is not compatible with displays that use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort"

Connecting a 2009 iMac to a 2019 Macbook Pro to use as a monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.