Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Topic-iphone7 - Using Storage Feature in iphone 7

Topic: iphone 7-Using Storage feature in iphone

I have some questions regarding using Storage feature in iphone 7.

1. Will offloading and reinstalling an app free the storage space considerably?
  2. Storage screen for an app say Notes, provides options to offload and reinstall the app thereby facilitating freeing up some storage space. However I find that very little storage is freed.
  3. The storage screen for any app shows that storage is used for app size and documents & I presume that it is the d & d that gets cleansed.
  4. For some apps the storage used up by d & d, like Photos app is significant though I use icloud for photos.
  5. For the same app, say Whatsapp, the app size and d & d storage consumption is different for iphone 7 and ipad Air both of which I use.
  6. What exactly is d & d content?
  7. Will cleansing of app by offload & reinstall speed up iphone and ipad? I have used up 13 gb out of 16 gb in ipad Air.
  8. Will d & d cleansing improve battery performance? I find that ipad Air battery drains fast.

Please guide.

iPhone 7, 13

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 11:54 PM

• There are many apps which are quite heavy on storage such as MS Excel, MS Word, iMovie, Pages etc.. Simultaneously there are many apps which are quite small with respect to storage space. Now it depends on which app you have on your iPhone. Thus offloading by itself is a feature that helps the users to save space based on their usage practice.
  • Reinstalling apps will need internet and will consume data if not on WiFi.
  • Offloading apps may not speed up performance an iPhone / iPad
  • Photos, Camera, Clock, Health, Wallet, Apps cannot be offloaded
  • If by D&D you mean Documents & Data : Here's a list of the types of content on your device, and what each type includes:
  1. Audio: Songs, audio podcasts, audiobooks, voice memos, and ringtones.
  2. Video: Movies, music videos, and TV shows.
  3. Photos: Content in your Photo Library, Camera Roll, and Photo Stream.
  4. Apps: Installed apps. The content of the apps is listed under Documents & Data.
  5. Books: iBooks books, audio books, and PDF files.
  6. Documents & Data: Safari Offline Reading List, files stored within installed apps, and app content like contacts, calendars, messages, and emails (and their attachments).
  7. Other: Settings, Siri voices, system data, and cached files.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2019 11:54 PM in response to rajaraman160

• There are many apps which are quite heavy on storage such as MS Excel, MS Word, iMovie, Pages etc.. Simultaneously there are many apps which are quite small with respect to storage space. Now it depends on which app you have on your iPhone. Thus offloading by itself is a feature that helps the users to save space based on their usage practice.
  • Reinstalling apps will need internet and will consume data if not on WiFi.
  • Offloading apps may not speed up performance an iPhone / iPad
  • Photos, Camera, Clock, Health, Wallet, Apps cannot be offloaded
  • If by D&D you mean Documents & Data : Here's a list of the types of content on your device, and what each type includes:
  1. Audio: Songs, audio podcasts, audiobooks, voice memos, and ringtones.
  2. Video: Movies, music videos, and TV shows.
  3. Photos: Content in your Photo Library, Camera Roll, and Photo Stream.
  4. Apps: Installed apps. The content of the apps is listed under Documents & Data.
  5. Books: iBooks books, audio books, and PDF files.
  6. Documents & Data: Safari Offline Reading List, files stored within installed apps, and app content like contacts, calendars, messages, and emails (and their attachments).
  7. Other: Settings, Siri voices, system data, and cached files.

Topic-iphone7 - Using Storage Feature in iphone 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.