Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac / Time Machine keeps generating error stating that the disk is not formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled

I'm trying to use time machine to back up my iMac.

I originally attempted to use two different external WD My Book 6tb drives that had been formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled. The first backups were created successfully. The next day I started to receive an error message that the backups had failed and that the disks were not formatted as OS Extended. I attempt to run first aid from the disk utility on both drives with no success. I also attempted to erase and reformat each of the disks, but the error would return. On the off chance that I had been terribly unlucky, I returned both drives and purchase a new WD Elements 10tb drive.

Same result. First reformatted the drive to OS Extended and then created the first back up successfully. Now, additional time machine backups are failing and I'm getting the error message that the disk is not formatted as OS Extended.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 6:45 AM

Solved - the issue was with the WD utility software. After uninstalling the WD software and other associated files, I've had no further issues with time machine.

Additionally, I deleted the following that were not removed by the uninstall program:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.WDPrivilegedHelper.plist (this starts the WD Drive utility helper).

From the System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items, remove WDDriveUtilityHelper (this runs the helper when a user logs in).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 6:45 AM in response to craptacular9

Solved - the issue was with the WD utility software. After uninstalling the WD software and other associated files, I've had no further issues with time machine.

Additionally, I deleted the following that were not removed by the uninstall program:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.WDPrivilegedHelper.plist (this starts the WD Drive utility helper).

From the System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items, remove WDDriveUtilityHelper (this runs the helper when a user logs in).

Dec 20, 2019 6:21 PM in response to craptacular9

Hi craptacular9,

It’s great to have you in the Apple Support Communities. From what I understand, your Time Machine backups are failing even though you confirmed the correct file system format. This has occurred with three different drives. I’d like to help.

Based on what you’ve already attempted, you may want to turn off Time Machine and check it for problems. To check the external drive connected to your Mac, open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. Then use the First Aid feature in Disk Utility to verify your disk. Do this for your startup disk as well. If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

After your drives are verified or repaired successfully, feel free to turn Time Machine back on. If you’re still running into issues creating Time Machine backups after doing that, reach out here for additional support: Contact Apple Support

Wishing you the best! 

Dec 20, 2019 8:21 PM in response to craptacular9

Plug your WD drive into your Mac. Open Disk Utility. Click on "View", then select "Show All Devices". Select your WD Elements drive media in the Disk Utility sidebar (not the indented volume below it). Click on "Erase". In the dropdown, select Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled) and Scheme: GUID Partition Map (not Master Boot Record). Then click on "Erase"in the dropdown.

Dec 31, 2019 7:25 AM in response to craptacular9

craptacular9 wrote:

I'm trying to use time machine to back up my iMac.

Same result. First reformatted the drive to OS Extended and then created the first back up successfully. Now, additional time machine backups are failing and I'm getting the error message that the disk is not formatted as OS Extended.

You should always format a new drive to verify you erase any & all proprietary software that is included on some drives especially WD.

There is no advantage in buying external drives that say Mac ready/ Mac compatible etc.—other than a marketing strategy typically more expense.

iMac / Time Machine keeps generating error stating that the disk is not formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.