Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sold iphone

Hello I sold my old iPhone 6plus to Mazuma and now someone has bought the phone from eBay, I need to clear the phone but not sure how and make sure they can't see any of my details. It's complicated because it was logged into my partner's apple account and he has unlinked the account but the person who has bought the phone is still saying they can't use the phone without his apple password which we aren't willing to give.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 8:13 AM

You can do it without giving the new owner the password. See the following from What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 8:13 AM in response to Ellabella1988

You can do it without giving the new owner the password. See the following from What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.

sold iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.