Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently hide Finder window toolbar in Mojave and Catalina

I want to permanently hide the toolbar in folder views. I NEVER use the toolbar - it and the sidebar are utter waste of screen real estate. Every time I create a new folder and open it, I then have to opt-cmd-t to remove toolbar. I can't find any solution - setting 'default' for window options doesn't apply to sidebar and toolbar. Any suggestions or working solutions most welcomed. I have MBAir (Catalina) and MB Pro (Mojave, that will never be downgraded to Catalina).

Seems to be getting harder to change Tim's preferences for how I use my Mac. Long gone are the days of customising our GUI and UX - it's Tim's way or no way.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 1:43 PM

You can always put your Finder window in Full Screen mode— in this way it will be in Mission Control—

ref: Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

otherwise:

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Don't close the Finder window will solve the issue.

You can see the stack of apps, folders, Finder window(s) that can lay in waiting:

Please feel free to submit your user experience: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 1:43 PM in response to EJW Tas

You can always put your Finder window in Full Screen mode— in this way it will be in Mission Control—

ref: Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

otherwise:

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Don't close the Finder window will solve the issue.

You can see the stack of apps, folders, Finder window(s) that can lay in waiting:

Please feel free to submit your user experience: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 18, 2019 5:29 PM in response to EJW Tas

EJW Tas wrote:

thanks - it drives me nuts - it's my computer, not Tim's - but I can't set it up the way I want to use it - so annoying
suspect I will wipe Catalina and go back to Mojave - waste another afternoon thanks to Tim
cheers

Well its cute you continue to bring up "Tims" name but really not productive as you rattle on.

From the above you say "Any suggestions or working solutions most welcomed."

It does not appear to me you really want any viable alternative suggestion beyond complaining about no default setting.

Please submit your user experience here: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

— to make your desires known—your voice will be heard, all feed back through this official channel are read and taken into account.

I will add, over 10 years in these user to user support communities— and yours is the first that I can remember with this complaint about Finder. To each his own, I certainly am not going to offer an other possible alternatives.

Dec 18, 2019 3:05 PM in response to EJW Tas

Mine still works that way, but they have fiddled with the default views. You really can't set them for a folder anymore. The Finder window only remembers the last view opened.

After deleting the preferences, did you kill the Finder? It may just write out the prefs from memory when it quits. They've been messing with the defaults, also.

Jan 13, 2020 8:03 PM in response to leroydouglas

Well, if you believe that 2019 and 2020 are in the same decade, you now have two people with the same complaint in the same decade. And even if you don't - well, two within the same couple of months now.

I don't like Finder Toolbars. I want to be able to hide them, have the setting stick (the toolbars reappear after every restart), and not have to turn Toolbars off when I create a new window. It is the single most annoying thing about Catalina.

Permanently hide Finder window toolbar in Mojave and Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.