Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I installed iCloud to Windows 10 PC but only iCloud folder containing my files shows in Windows File Explore. There is no iCloud Photos. I follow the instruction to change a new folder, nothing works! Please help! Thanks.

I installed iCloud App (obtained from Microsoft Store) to my new Windows 10 laptop. It created two folders, iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos, in my OneDrive, which is not the place I wanted.

Then, I followed the steps in Apple Support and reassigned the folders in C:\Users\. Only iCloud Drive folder can be seen in the Windows Explore but NOT 'iCloud Photos'. However, error message said:

"My Photo Stream can't be updated because you don't have permission to add files to the download folder. Open iCloud to pick a new folder."

Next, I picked a new folder for photos. The same error message! I research all Apple Support websites without any resolution to this problem. Could any body help?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 1:21 PM

Make extra sure to uninstall the Microsoft Store version completely. I think there’s two iCloud options, one for Outlook, and the other that’s actually iCloud.

You will also want to restart your computer before attempting to install the downloaded version.

For reference here is how to get to the Microsoft Store apps in order to remove them:

Uninstall or remove apps and programs

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
  2. Select the app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2020 1:21 PM in response to hll48

Make extra sure to uninstall the Microsoft Store version completely. I think there’s two iCloud options, one for Outlook, and the other that’s actually iCloud.

You will also want to restart your computer before attempting to install the downloaded version.

For reference here is how to get to the Microsoft Store apps in order to remove them:

Uninstall or remove apps and programs

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
  2. Select the app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall

Jan 4, 2020 10:46 PM in response to hll48

I struggled with this same issue on a client's Windows 10 system.

The solution I found was to uninstall the Microsoft Store version of iCloud, restart the computer, then download and install iCloud from the Apple website instead.

I then made extra sure not to try to change any settings from the defaults and so far have been successful in downloading photos.

Other troubleshooting that didn't appear to make a difference was:

1) Uninstalled Webroot antivirus

2) Made sure Controlled Folder Access was disabled

3) Chose various folders on external drives, internal drives.

4) Changed the folder I was choosing for iCloud to share with "everyone"

All those other steps did nothing to resolve the issue -- uninstalling the crappy Windows Store version and installing the normal version appeared to work.

For reference, I used the link from the Apple Support page here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283

Jan 5, 2020 4:54 PM in response to hll48

Thanks for all your helps, wizdomonwheels. I forget the last one step that must be done! That is, "In the Windows Taskbar, click the up arrow in the lower right. Click the cloud icon (for iCloud), then click Download Photos." This step is given in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201391, under "Download your photos and share with friends" section.

Thanks a lot for your helps.

Jan 5, 2020 12:33 PM in response to wizdomonwheels

To wizdomonwheels

Thank you very much for your recommendations. I followed your steps this morning: download the App from Apple Support page and uninstalled the "Microsoft Store App". Do you know what is happening? After uninstall, the App disappears from the list of program uninstall page. However, when I install the iCloud setup downloaded from Apple Support, the PC give me a very strange message, said that the App has been installed and could not work on my requested installation! I guess there are something wrong with the iCloud setup from the Microsoft Store! I will strongly recommend that the Apple Support page must delete the sentences to suggest that the Windows PC version is available from Microsoft Store!

Jan 5, 2020 4:39 PM in response to wizdomonwheels

Thanks, wizdomonwheels. I successfully uninstall and reinstall the iCloud App. I download the software from Apple Support this time. Both "iCloud Photos" and "iCloud Derive" appear on the Quick Access list when I open Windows Explorer. The iCloud Drive shows exactly folders and files I have in my iPhone X. I click iCloud Photos -> Downloads, however, it is said "This folder is empty". Could you instruct me: Is there anything wrong or something that I may lose in the installation? Thanks for your helps!

Jan 5, 2020 4:56 PM in response to hll48

Almost there!

Ok next step is to look in your taskbar on the far right for the iCloud icon -- you'll probably have to click the triangle symbol to show more items.

Once you find the iCloud icon, click it and then choose "Download Photos".

If it says it's not done yet, give it a few hours to finish the first scan of all your photos.

Otherwise choose "All Photos" at the top, or choose a specific date range you want to download by checking each of the boxes next to the dates.

I believe it's smart enough so in the future you can simply choose "Download Photos" then choose "All Photos", and it won't give you duplicates.

I installed iCloud to Windows 10 PC but only iCloud folder containing my files shows in Windows File Explore. There is no iCloud Photos. I follow the instruction to change a new folder, nothing works! Please help! Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.