Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to download the iphone backup file from icloud, to my local hard drive.

I need to download my iphone's backup file from icloud, to my local hard drive. How do I do that?

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 5:09 PM

The only thing you can do with an iCloud backup is restore it to an iOS device, which is the purpose of an iCloud backup. There are some apps for your computer that can view the contents of an iCloud backup, as long as you know the iCloud ID and password that were used when the backup was created.

8 replies

Dec 18, 2019 5:24 PM in response to AZsport115

I do, but downloading the iCloud backup if you could do it won’t solve it. As I suggested, look for an app for your computer that can read an iCloud backup and display its contents. I know that icloudbackupextractor can, and I’ve been told that iMazing can. But there is no way to restore the conversation to the messages app without restoring the entire backup to the phone, which will overwrite everything else on the phone also.

Dec 19, 2019 2:01 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I thought about it. But ultimately found no way to do it. When I restore an old backup (which I need to login to icloud to do), it immediately updates all messages as soon as the backup is restored. And if your messages are on the server, it appears they aren't even included in your backups at all. So that was puzzling and disappointing. I appreciate your suggestions however!

I need to download the iphone backup file from icloud, to my local hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.