Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 unlocking in the UK - o2

I have an iPhone 4 on a monthly contract in the UK with o2. My 3GS was unlocked without a problem, however o2 tell me that they can't/won't unlock my iPhone 4.

I asked them why they won't (as I understand that EU legislation forbids enforced locking) and they told me that Apple have said that they aren't allowed to unlock iPhone 4s. They said that they could do the 3GS, but Apple won't let them do the 4s.

Does this seem right?!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 4:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 4:36 AM

sounds like o2 is pulling your leg saying apple won't let them.

if you bought the phone outright from apple it came unlocked, if you got it from o2 on contract or any other company it will come locked to that company.

i don't remember the times exactly but with the 3gs on o2 you had to be 3 or 6 months into your contract before they would allow you to unlock it.

imagine it will be the same with the ip4 though as its only been out 3 weeks no one is inside of that window.

i am on an o2 simplicity plan with an unlocked ip4 i got from apple without any problems.
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2010 4:36 AM in response to frenny

sounds like o2 is pulling your leg saying apple won't let them.

if you bought the phone outright from apple it came unlocked, if you got it from o2 on contract or any other company it will come locked to that company.

i don't remember the times exactly but with the 3gs on o2 you had to be 3 or 6 months into your contract before they would allow you to unlock it.

imagine it will be the same with the ip4 though as its only been out 3 weeks no one is inside of that window.

i am on an o2 simplicity plan with an unlocked ip4 i got from apple without any problems.

Sep 7, 2010 8:29 AM in response to Milesy!

Yup, if you were told that O2 "do not have the authority" to unlock iP4s then you have been mis-informed. The official word from O2 is, and I quote:

"To make sure our iPhone 4 stock is reserved exclusively for genuine O2 customers during launch, we won't unlock iPhone 4 until after the launch period. Please check back here for the latest information on unlocking iPhone 4."

Please see link to their website:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

So the only question is, how long will this 'launch period' actually be??

iPhone 4 unlocking in the UK - o2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.