Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine error code 92

I get the error code 92 "Backup failed - time machine could not back up to Elements SE"

This initially happened after updating to Catalina on my iMac. I was using a Lacie drive and thought I would need to update my back up disk. So bought an Elements drive to replace it. This however made no difference and the back up continues to fail.

What could be the solution to this problem, to get the Time Machine to work properly?

Thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 11:42 AM

If you can't find the solution to the TM problem except to get a new drive give the OWC Mercury Elite Pros a try. They are very high quality drives and enclosures with excellent customer support and warranty behind them. Also reasonably in priced.

16 replies

Jan 7, 2020 9:27 AM in response to ketoDaddy

I agree with BDAqua on the case sensitive issue. It's not recommended as it can cause larger backups if a file's name is changed to a uppercase (or lower case) like jpeg to JPEG. That would trigger a new backup of that file evening it were not modified except for the case. Photos can do that with file extensions.

This is how a TM drive should be formatted:

Dec 19, 2019 8:38 PM in response to Squashybeetle

Remove and Add the Time Machine Backup Drive.

To do that, go to: Apple > System Preferences > Time Machine > click Add or Remove Backup Disk > highlight the Backup Disk > click Remove Disk > select Stop Using This Disk. Then go back > click Add or Remove Disk > select the Time Machine Disk > click Use Disk to Add the Disk back into the Backup Disk list.

Time Machine error code 92

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.