Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying used Imac /drive wiped

So there is an company auction selling IMAC but they are saying hard drive has been wiped. Never owned Apple device so my question would be , how would you reinstall OS? Would I need to purchase new license or it is something else?

Thanks

Kerom

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 8:43 AM

The A1419 model unfortunately identifies iMacs from 2013 all the way to the current 2019 models. so not much use.

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=a1419

The only good thing about that model number is that all those models feature Internet Recovery, which works regardless of the status of the drive. It can be invoked even if the hard drive fails or is wiped. So whatever wiped means is not really all that important on these models.

On any of these iMacs installation of macOS will be free. There are no discs to buy for macOS after 2009's Snow Leopard, and no physical media at all after Lion (sold on USB drive) So you should not incur any additional cost even if you tried as far as the OS is concerned.

Also, unlike windows, there is no serial number to install the OS. The process is fairly simple and straight forward.

The Serial number, part number or model identifier (different from model number) can be used to uniquely identify the Mac.

See here: Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2019 8:43 AM in response to Kerimaga

The A1419 model unfortunately identifies iMacs from 2013 all the way to the current 2019 models. so not much use.

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=a1419

The only good thing about that model number is that all those models feature Internet Recovery, which works regardless of the status of the drive. It can be invoked even if the hard drive fails or is wiped. So whatever wiped means is not really all that important on these models.

On any of these iMacs installation of macOS will be free. There are no discs to buy for macOS after 2009's Snow Leopard, and no physical media at all after Lion (sold on USB drive) So you should not incur any additional cost even if you tried as far as the OS is concerned.

Also, unlike windows, there is no serial number to install the OS. The process is fairly simple and straight forward.

The Serial number, part number or model identifier (different from model number) can be used to uniquely identify the Mac.

See here: Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

Dec 20, 2019 7:38 AM in response to Kerimaga

That depends on the specific model of iMac.

2011 and later iMacs would have the Internet Recovery feature you can invoke directly and install a working version of macOS directly on the Mac using an internet connection. This is free. Apple has not charged for macOS installations since 2013.

Older ones would require, installation DVDs or the purchase of a specific macOS version from Apple to install MacOS if no recovery partition is available.

See here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Dec 20, 2019 7:33 AM in response to Kerimaga

If you cannot inspect the iMac for damage, etc. then walk away. If you have physical access to the iMac, then on the bottom of the iMac stand is the serial number. On this site, enter that serial number in the field located after Enter Mac or Apple Device Identifier. That will return a Page about the default configuration for that particular iMac, but not any build to order information that it may have been configured.

By example, here is the screen returned for my particular iMac:

Share the screen capture for your particular Mac model, and that will help us determine its operating system requirements.

Determine if the iMac has an NVRAM password set, and if so, if that password is available to you. If not, walk away. Otherwise, you will need it to install an operating system on that iMac.

Dec 20, 2019 8:07 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your response,

I think computer is fine, I have dealt with this particular auction company before and they would state if computer is damaged. They are auctioning assets of the company that filed bankcruptcy.

All I have is the model at this moment ,it is A1419 just like yours, they have 2 others but I am not sure if I will buy all of them...depends on final bid value.

I have contacted them to see what they mean by "wiped" and at this point I am assuming that hard drive is totally wiped (reformated). I will try to get them send me serial number or will go to see it myself.

I know for Windows, each computer usually has a tag with windows OS serial number so you can just buy or borrow windows OS CD to install and SN will be used to activate it your OS.

Now for Apple I am clueless on the process.... and if I am gonna bid to buy this computer I need to consider any additional cost that I might incurr after the pirchase.

Buying used Imac /drive wiped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.