Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Sync/merge

I'm confused...have six active apple devices and want to set up key chain to sync passwords across of all six. Do I need all passwords on single " master" device or will keychain sync and also Merge all passwords across all devices?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 11:54 AM

6 replies

Dec 20, 2019 12:40 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy

Many thanks for the quick response, but I had viewed this information previously and am still confused, my confusion is:

I have multiple Apple devices. some have the same passwords as others.

Some have their unique set of passwords. example on one device I have a distinct password for Amazon.com

If I use keychain which password will iCloud use? Or will I get a choice.

Set up my own problem successfully just trying to get it straightened out!

Sorry - guess I'm not good at explaining this

John

Dec 20, 2019 12:46 PM in response to jearle9

As you describe it, then, I don't think you want to use iCloud keychain because it will try to sync the keychain to every device connected to iCloud. You should just use the individual keychain for each device and not try syncing one keychain across multiple devices that need unique keychains.

iCloud Keychain is intended for someone like me who uses the same keychain on every device. With iCloud Keychain any change I make will automatically get synced to all other devices. I don't think this is what you wish to happen.

Keychain Sync/merge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.