Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting dual monitors to MacBook Pro

I have two monitors that I am trying to connect to my MacBook Pro(13 in - 2018), they're connecting but displaying as one -- they're mirroring each other instead of being their own screens. How can I fix this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 9:16 AM

Some dual adapters send the same data to each display, a few support two independent displays.

ThunderBolt Macs have a lot of internal high-speed switching in their display outputs. Because of this, the Mac does NOT have a good history with two displays on one computer port.

If your displays have a DisplayPort family input, that is the interface that you should be using. Effective Refresh rates will be higher and your computer will run slightly cooler.

Third-party DisplayPort adapter/cables rated "4K" will generally give good results (except for displays larger than "4K") or this Apple adapter/cable rated "5K":

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLR62ZM/A/moshi-usb-c-to-displayport-cable

In general, you can not "stack"adapters. You must make the transition from computer output port to display input port in at most ONE adapter.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2019 9:16 AM in response to tadnmangadze

Some dual adapters send the same data to each display, a few support two independent displays.

ThunderBolt Macs have a lot of internal high-speed switching in their display outputs. Because of this, the Mac does NOT have a good history with two displays on one computer port.

If your displays have a DisplayPort family input, that is the interface that you should be using. Effective Refresh rates will be higher and your computer will run slightly cooler.

Third-party DisplayPort adapter/cables rated "4K" will generally give good results (except for displays larger than "4K") or this Apple adapter/cable rated "5K":

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLR62ZM/A/moshi-usb-c-to-displayport-cable

In general, you can not "stack"adapters. You must make the transition from computer output port to display input port in at most ONE adapter.

connecting dual monitors to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.