Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Apple TV 4K actually stream your purchases at the highest video quality

I recently bought an Apple TV 4K assuming that Apple would automatically stream my past HD purchases and BluRay digital copies would be upgraded to the higher resolution; however, only some of my past purchases through Apple and almost all my BlueRay digital copies except for two are able to stream at 4K hdr/dvisison/datmos. Which is why I think is so odd.

For instance I have Fury which is a BluRay digital on Apple, so when I stream it’s only streaming at HD, but it was Dolby Atmos, but Apple is selling Fury currently with 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

others Bluray digitals that have this problem include baby driver, blade runner 2049, Dunkirk, the Martian that are movies that I currently own that only play in HD when they are currently being sold with 4K with a combination of HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos.

I’ve also noticed purchases I’ve made directly from Apple be downgraded from 4K to HD. An example is Alien Covenant which is strange because my friend bought his through Apple and his says 4K so I’m just confused.

and yes it’s not my internet, I have regular speeds of 400 down and my Apple TV is directly plugged into an Ethernet port with a cat7 Ethernet cable. So there shouldn’t be a problem that I’m able to stream Dredd at 4K with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos which is a BluRay digital copy, but I’m unable to do that with other movies that I currently own that are listed for sale as 4K HDR

i don’t know does someone have any answers

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 2:44 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 20, 2019 6:44 PM in response to QuickPost

Yeah that’s not it I have regular speeds of 400 down and the Apple TV is plug directly into the Ethernet. But that wouldn’t explain why interstellar is able to play 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby atmos, but for some reason Baby Driver is just too big to handle.

i was able to to find a link to an article on Apple forums that explained that there’s essentially a pay wall. Apple doesn’t actually play your content to the highest quality they have. They only upgrade your movie to the highest quality for direct Apple purchases and 4k ultra Blu-ray’s for production studios that currently offer streaming that movie at 4K, not standard full hd Blu-ray’s that are offered in 4K hdr/Dolby Vision, but will still play with Dolby Atmos if supported. That being said some regular Blu-ray’s do get upgraded to 4k examples of my movies that were Dredd, Patriot Day, Hostiles (probably depends on the studio) I guess I took the marketing too literally.

https://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/52427/moviesanywhere.html

Dec 20, 2019 7:05 PM in response to QuickPost

no that’s not it, I was able to find another person with a similar issue in the forums. Apple will only upgrade your iTunes library to HD movies to 4K hdr/Dolby vision if they’re direct Apple purchases or from 4K ultra Blu-ray’s. So if they’re regular full hd Blu-ray’s digital copies in your iTunes library they could be upgraded to 4k, but it’s not guaranteed. Examples of full hd Blu-ray’s that were upgraded were Dredd, patriots day, and hostiles, but the vast majority of others weren’t. Which is on me I shouldn’t of took the marketing too seriously.

Does the Apple TV 4K actually stream your purchases at the highest video quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.