Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Launchpad in Catalina keeps rearranging my icons?

Hello guys, anyone have an idea, please...

I have fresh reinstalled Catalina from the scratch, and Launchpad for some reason is from time to time pulling out some App Icons from the 'Other' group (the 'Utilities' application folder) and is putting them within the main Launchpad area like this:

I can use this command from the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true

and then restart my Mac and after restart the Launchpad is again normal like I wont it.

Unfortunately after some time it turns back to the previous awful state with app icons form 'Utilities' pulled out to the main Launchpad area again.

This happens on my freshly reinstalled iMac, and it does happen for any (even new) user, so it's not related to the user account and i think it's not related to any software, because it started right after fresh reinstallation after something is changed in System Preferences but without anything else installed yet.

I'm testing now this issue on my Parallels desktop where this happens after fresh installation as well, but I still was not able to isolate when this actually happens, but seems like it happens after I install any thing new either from pkg or from App Store, or after I change something in System Preferences (usually related either to Language & Region or Keyboard settings).

So my Launchpad is getting cluttered over and over and I have to reset it over again if I want to keep it in proper condition. That's very inconvenient, would be nice if someone has an idea for permanent solution, thank you guys in advance and have good day everyone.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 1:58 PM

Manolis_from_Prague wrote:

Tried so many tests already

So, should this be considered as widespread bug in macOS?

You can submit your user experience here: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feedback assistant to file bug reports: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/welcome

Alternatively you can bypass the Launchpad and use the Applications folder,

from the Finder: shift command A

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2019 1:58 PM in response to Manolis_from_Prague

Manolis_from_Prague wrote:

Tried so many tests already

You can submit your user experience here: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feedback assistant to file bug reports: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/welcome

Dec 21, 2019 1:37 PM in response to Manolis_from_Prague

Tried so many tests already on various user accounts and couple different Macs, under various system settings, different Language and Region preferences. I see this occurs everywhere after some time, after some changes in system preferences or after some apps are installed (and I mean regular apps from App Store even those made by Apple)... the icons in Launchpad gets cluttered (pulled out from 'Other' group) and occupies main Launchpad space. The only way I found to get a rid of this and make them appear correctly again is reseting Launchpad using:

% defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true

I'm on fresh, reinstalled Catalina latest version 10.15.2

I found some posts on other sites on the internet complaining about this issue in previous macOS versions, unfortunately none of them gives satisfactory solution.

Do you guys experience the same thing, too? (I guess you do, other ways I have no idea what I could be doing wrong???)

Dec 21, 2019 3:16 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

Hello leroydouglas.

Thanks, and yes, I know that ⌘+⇧+A, just I don't use Application folder from Finder window too much. Most of the times I tend to launch my Apps from ⌘+Space (Spotlight quick search) or from the Launchpad.

Now I was just wondering if you guys are experiencing the same behavior from your Launchpad too?

And ok, I will file this with Feedback assistant as bug report.

Have good day, bye.

Why Launchpad in Catalina keeps rearranging my icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.