Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect new iMac with thunderbolt 3 to an old Apple LED Cinema display (mini display port) to a

Is there a way to connect an old Apple LED Cinema display (mini display port) to a new iMac with thunderbolt 3.

The Apple site seems to have some conflicting information. I found this --

• Connect an Apple LED Cinema Display: Plug the display’s cable directly into the Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt 2 port  on your Mac. For newer Mac computers, use a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to connect the display to your Mac.

but when I read about the adapter is says it is not compatible with mini display Apple Display

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 9:44 AM

3 replies

Dec 22, 2019 6:55 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Yes thank you -- I realize now that it is possible but only from a 3rd party and your suggestion looks like a good solution. It did seem a little odd that Apple wouldn't support it given that the mini Display and Thunderbolt 3 are both Apple initiated standards. I know it can be tough to connect to very different aged devices (the Cinema display is 15 years old) but the non glare screen and the accurate color make it still a very workable monitor.

Can I connect new iMac with thunderbolt 3 to an old Apple LED Cinema display (mini display port) to a

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.